Application for Employment
Please send completed employment application and resume to:
Iowa Western Community College
2700 College Rd. Box 4-C
Council Bluffs, IA 51503
For Professional Staff positions please include a minimum salary requirement in your
For all Faculty positions please include an official copy of transcripts.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of the operation and maintenance of commercial transportation vehicles
- Knowledge of federal and state traffic laws and regulations
- Knowledge of bus evacuation procedures
- Skill in driving commercial transportation vehicles with airbrakes
- Skill in performing minor maintenance and safety checks of commercial vehicles
- Skill in evacuating students during an emergency
Required: High School Diploma or GED
Required: Must have and maintain a valid CDL/passenger license and school bus driver certification.
Preferred: Minimum of 6 years general driving experience
Basic Function and Responsibility:
The Bus Drivers is responsible for the operations of varies types of buses that will transport students and other passengers to and from designated locations. Drivers typically work without direct supervision and are fully responsible for the safety of their passengers.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Operation of Class B motor vehicle requiring frequent upper body movement; repetitive use of arms, hands, and fingers to include grasping both firm and light; primarily right side to operate door opener.
- Seeing to drive and to observe work performed.
- Hearing and speaking to communicate with students, parents, and other staff.
- Frequent reaching to clean windshields, adjust mirrors, and open/close windows.
- Frequent bending, stooping, twisting, turning, reaching, carrying, pulling, pushing, climbing (bus steps) and extensive sitting.
- Continual lifting and carrying of 0 - 20 lbs. Floor to chest and overhead.
- Frequent lifting and carrying of 20 to 80 pounds. Floor to chest and overhead.
- Occasional lifting, carrying and pushing of up to 180 pounds in emergency situations to drag or lift injured students to evacuate bus.
Typical Working Conditions:
- Exposure to driving a school bus during adverse weather and traffic conditions, extreme temperatures, vehicle exhaust, odors, poor ventilation, and intense noise.
- Exposure to abusive or uncooperative individuals.
- Exposure to working around and with machinery having moving parts.
- Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require following basic safety precautions.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Transport students and other passengers to and from designated destinations, overnights and weekends; adjust and plan travel routes if necessary.
- Make routine checks and inspection of bus and equipment for proper operation, safety, and maintenance.
- Observe and follow all applicable federal, state, local laws, and regulations governing commercial transportation.
- Follow school district guidelines regarding student management and discipline; report incidents to proper personnel.
- Maintain required records of bus usage and reports of operation.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
open until filled