Application for Employment
Please send completed employment application and resume to:
Iowa Western Community College
2700 College Rd. Box 4-C
Council Bluffs, IA 51503
For Professional Staff positions please include a minimum salary requirement in your
For all Faculty positions please include an official copy of transcripts.
Performs tasks necessary to create a learning community committed to excellence in meeting educational needs and improving the quality of life through programs, partnerships and community involvement. Will be responsible for routine, preventative and emergency repairs on devices to achieve efficient building maintenance and operation. Will be responsible to perform routine preventative maintenance and general repairs of HVAC equipment, boilers, water heaters, chillers, energy management equipment, residential heating, cooling systems, electrical, and lighting systems.
- High school diploma or GED required
- Journeyman’s license or higher preferred
- At least four years in HVAC construction or related field preferred
- Works in cooperation with and reports directly to Chief Engineer with specifications and or cost estimates on material and equipment needed for building support systems
- Work requires advanced electrical skills and theory of repair techniques, software packages and proper selection of building components. Understanding of the principles of mechanics, electricity, pneumatics, plumbing, boiler operation, automotive mechanics, and heating and cooling, etc. in order to maintain and or modify components of the equipment.
- Helps install and repair of control and distribution systems related to HVAC. Requires educational development to program and operate software for energy management systems and be able to read and comprehend blueprints and electrical schematics; estimate time and material. Ability to follow and understand memos, and product labels, etc. Basic interpersonal skills necessary to exchange information with students and staff as well as supply vendors, etc.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for coordinating and working with outside contractors, architects and engineers on building, electrical, HVAC, and automation systems.
- Provides Director of Facilities and Chief Engineer with specifications and or cost est. on material and equipment needed for building support systems.
- Plans, directs, and documents energy management, HVAC, and electrical systems and recommends or initiates installation, modification or replacement of equipment and systems.
- Diagnoses, maintains, repairs, and alters electrical system including inspection, repair and installation of lamps, ballasts, switches, motors, controls, fuses, breakers, distribution lines, etc. Responsible for inventory of materials and supplies for maintenance of those systems.
- Diagnoses, repairs and maintains HVAC systems to include but not limited to: boilers, chillers, air handlers, roof top units, radiant heat, exhaust fans, gas or electric furnaces, air conditioner units. Responsible for inventory of material and supplies for maintenance of those systems.
- Files and maintains operation manuals, maintenance logs, shop drawings, and other materials pertaining to facility support equipment. Suggests improvements in work methods and procedures by observing situations, formulate remedy submit written recommendations to Physical Plant Director.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
While performing the duties of this job, eth employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms, stand; walk; talk or hear; and use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; lift push, pull and carry objects. The employee must occasionally lift and/ or move more than fifty pounds. May use repetitive motions and wrists, hands and fingers. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Work is performed primarily in a construction, maintenance setting. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud; occasionally required to work at extreme temperatures and humidity; occasionally subjected to vibrations, mechanical and electrical hazards. May be exposed to fumes and dust.
It is the policy of the College to extend equal opportunities to all employees and to applicants for employment who meet the qualifications established for a position for which the application is made. It is also the policy of this institution not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of disability, gender identity, age, race, color, creed, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, sex, pregnancy, genetic information, veteran status, AIDS/HIV status, citizenship, national origin or any other characteristic that is legally protected.
If you have questions or complaints related to compliance with this policy, please contact the Director of Human Resources, 2700 College Rd, Council Bluffs, IA 51503, phone number (712)325-3413, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or the Director of the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, Citigroup Center, 500 W. Madison, Suite 1475, Chicago, IL 60661, phone number (312)730-1560, fax (312)730-1576.
open until filled