Application for Employment
Please send completed employment application and resume to:
Iowa Western Community College
2700 College Rd. Box 4-C
Council Bluffs, IA 51503
For Professional Staff positions please include a minimum salary requirement in your
For all Faculty positions please include an official copy of transcripts.
Adjunct ESL Instructor-CE Adult Literacy
Located at the Shelby County Center in Harlan, IA
Required: Bachelors degree, education or similar field
Preferred: BA or BS with ELL or TESOL certification or Master’s degree related to ELL/ESL education
Required: Teaching of adult ELL population
Preferred: Additional teaching experience; bilingual--Spanish
Basic Function and Responsibility:
- Responsible for course content and instruction for select classes which may include Reading, Writing and Speaking of the English language competencies and standards, Digital Literacy, Numeracy.
- Integration of instruction- preparing instruction to match skill level of adults at various educational functioning levels.
- Responsible for competency-based instruction in assigned ESL classes
- Develop and implement College and Career Readiness Standards in class(es); includes creating lesson plans using template identifying Common Core Standards and CASAS Competencies.
- Contextualize instruction for job readiness, employability
- Use variety of instructional strategies including, but not limited to, explicit/direct instruction, large group, small group, one-on-one situations
- Instructor must pass test mandated certification exam9s) to administer state and program required post-tests and assessments.
- Evaluate and analyze assessment results and determine competency-based needs of class.
- Maintain up-to-date syllabi(s) for each class (this changes for each session based on needs of class/students)
- Instructor will maintain student records including but not limited to: attendance, enrollment and updating student records in electronic database and management of materials and resources.
- Digital literacy: determine needs of class(es), select/design appropriate curriculum
- Follow state and local program guides pertaining to required certifications for electronic management system including assessment administration and entering of data in a timely manner (annual recertifications required, hours of instruction entered into TE system monthly, etc)
- Administer posttest(s) to students with a minimum of 40 hours targeted instruction
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Build student rapport
- Develop lesson plans accordingly
- Maintain daily attendance records
- Assist in student retention efforts with follow-up call, emails, other methods of communication
- Instructor will be responsible for student follow-up and retention of enrolled students.
- Exhibit a positive and professional demeanor and attitude, contributing to a productive and growth-oriented work environment.
- Attend professional development and growth activities, reflecting at least 12 hours of professional development per year.
- Attend staff meetings as scheduled
- Upgrade skills and knowledge relevant to teaching field or discipline
- Maintain confidentiality regarding stu;dents and colleagues
- Complete assigned tasks in a timely manner, such as: Providing syllabi at the start of class, maintain accurate and up-to-date attendance records, entering of data into the TE system
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge and skill educational theory and methodology related to the adult learner/ English as a Second Language learner
- Ability to organize and present various curriculum concepts to a wide range of students with varying backgrounds, cultures, and abilities and adjust teaching techniques accordingly.
- Assume responsibility: deal effectively with problems and exercise independent, sound judgment when making decisions.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with students, colleagues, staff administrators and other contacts.
- Possess strong human relations skills and the ability to effectively relate to diverse personalities, backgrounds and cultures.
Typical Physical Demands:
Requires prolonged standing or sitting. Requires frequent bending, stooping or stretching. May require light lifting. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity. Requires ability to distinguish letters or symbols. Requires the use of office equipment such as micro-computer, calculator, telephone, taxes, scanners, copiers.
Typical Working Conditions:
Work is routinely performed in a Learning Center, worksite or other classroom environment. Frequent contact with internal and external customers is required.
open until filled