Application for Employment
Please send completed employment application and resume to:
Iowa Western Community College
2700 College Rd. Box 4-C
Council Bluffs, IA 51503
For Professional Staff positions please include a minimum salary requirement in your
For all Faculty positions please include an official copy of transcripts.
TRIO Program Advisor
The TRIO Support Advisor maintains a student advising caseload, provides personal and academic guidance and support to students, provides career and transfer planning, participates in the planning and implementation of program activities in accordance with federal regulation, works in conjunction with the Academic Specialists in student development programming, and follow-up support to students who are low-income, first generation or disabled.
Bachelor’s Degree required
Master’s Degree preferred
- Experience that demonstrates sensitivity to and an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, ethnic, and disabled backgrounds of community college students.
- Experience that illustrates a history of successfully collaborating with co-workers on a regular basis to achieve common goals.
- Experience that demonstrates a commitment to delivering first-rate customer service and exceptional support on a daily basis.
- Experience working in Student Services at an institution of higher education, preferably at a community college.
- Professional experience working with first-generation students.
- Experience that demonstrates student-centered decision making.
- Experience that demonstrates successful program development and evaluation.
Skills and Abilities:
- Iowa Western’s Student Services Division fosters learning environments that engage and empower our students to grow and develop. All Student Services staff members must have the ability to excel in team and individual settings, multi-task, problem solve, manage their time, and maintain positive relationships with student, staff, and faculty while thriving in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to openly confront and appropriately respond to sensitive situations.
- Serves as a primary advisor for a minimum of 60 applied and accepted TRIO students that and are seeking a transferable degree.
- Assists in the recruitment and selection process for eligible students in the TRIO Program.
- Initiates and maintains frequent contact with their advisees on a variety of topics and through various means, including in social media, face-to-face, email and phone communication. Communicates deadlines and important dates to TRIO students.
- Provides general financial literacy and class advising information to TRIO students.
- Adopts a highly intrusive advising model to motivate students to seek help when they need it, through social interaction, one-on-one advising meetings, and forming strong relationships with the students.
- Serves as the TRIO Program’s liaison to area four-year colleges/universities to coordinate campus visits and analyze course transferability.
- Hires, trains, and supervises the Academic Specialists, who are responsible for delivering one-on-one tutoring to TRIO/SSS students.
- Promotes involvement in campus activities and organizations.
- Plans, schedules, and co-facilitates a minimum of four student success workshops each semester for TRIO students; Participates in the planning and the coordination of kick-off event, end-of-the-year banquet, and cultural, social, and educational events for TRIO students.
- Recruits and supervises peer mentors and coordinates the weekly mentor hours and training. Hosts bi-monthly peer mentor group meetings.
- Creates an education plan with advisees and uses that plan to track each student’s progress through the TRIO program.
- Monitors and communicates academic progress, class attendance, and financial aid standing to ensure students understand options and resources for improving performance.
- Develops and maintains relationships with faculty on campus to ensure the success of each TRIO student.
- Teaches a maximum of two (2) sections of a one-credit student development course each academic year, including the fall and spring semesters, with each section being The College Experience, a mandatory orientation class and Transfer Planning. Must have a Master’s degree to teach college level course work.
- Tracks all interactions with students, including tutoring sessions, emails, phone calls, and one-on-one meetings; maintains attendance records for all workshops, activities, and events. Compiles, analyzes, and reports all data on a weekly basis to ensure progress toward outcomes.
- Communicates with the TRIO Program Director and TRIO staff via email updates, weekly one-on-one meetings, and weekly team meeting.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
$32,000 - $34,000
Iowa Western offers a wide array of competitive benefits and perks, including medical and dental coverage, life insurance, retirement with generous matching, and paid time-off (including numerous holidays).
Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Occasional evenings and weekends can be expected
Requires prolonged standing or sitting
Work is routinely performed in an office environment. Frequent contact with internal and external customers is required. Must hold a valid driver’s license, maintain a good driving record and qualify to drive college vehicles.
open until filled