Application for Employment
Please send completed employment application and resume to:
Iowa Western Community College
2700 College Rd. Box 4-C
Council Bluffs, IA 51503
For Professional Staff positions please include a minimum salary requirement in your
For all Faculty positions please include an official copy of transcripts.
Simulation Lab Technician
Associate degree, preferably in a health-related field
Minimum of one year experience in a simulation and skills lab environment
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse faculty, staff and student body
- Ability to adapt to changing programs, methodologies, faculty needs
- Ability to understand and utilize technical sim lab equipment, and communicate that knowledge to others
- Ability to prepare and organize simulation lab materials
Basic Function and Responsibility:
The Simulation Lab Technician coordinates and organizes Iowa Western’s healthcare-related skills lab and simulation center. The individual in this position will assure the effective and efficient operation of the labs, assess and provide for faculty and student needs, and oversee the operation of fidelity technology to ensure safe use of the area’s equipment.
Typical Demands of the Position:
The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical Demands- While performing the duties of this position, the technician is regularly required to sit, talk or hear in person and by telephone, use hands repetitively to finger, handle, feel or operate computers and other standard office equipment; and reach with hands and arms. Employee is frequently required to walk and stand. Employee is also required to occasionally stoop, kneel, bend, crouch or crawl and lift up to 50 pounds.
Mental Demands- While performing the duties of this position, the technician is regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; read and interpret information; analyze and solve problems; observe people and situations; use basic math; learn and apply new information and skills; work under intensive deadlines; work with minimal supervision; and interact with faculty, students, staff, the public, vendors, and others.
Typical Working Conditions:
The simulation lab technician works in a skills learning laboratory environment. Sights, sounds, and smells mimic that of a real-life healthcare setting. Conditions require frequent communication with others. The ability to be generally and continuously aware of the safe and appropriate operation of the equipment and material is essential.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Creates and maintains a respectful and professional working environment.
- Models professional standards, including customer service, collaboration, and communication.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with faculty, students, staff, director, dean and others.
- Develops, implements, updates, and monitors simulation lab policies, procedures, use and operation.
- Monitors and schedules use of simulation areas.
- Assist faculty in creating and delivering custom scenarios to match all levels of health care curriculum.
- Prepare clear, concise and accurate reporting systems for lab usage, inventory, student pre- and post-tests, etc.
- Coordinate lab usage across many departments, meeting a variety of needs.
- Use problem-solving skills to resolve issues with scheduling, equipment malfunction, etc.
- Maintains the lab inventory, ensures safe storage and disposal of hazardous materials.
- Maintains appropriate standards of lab cleanliness.
- Coordinates equipment maintenance, repair and replacement.
- Orients instructors in lab procedures, location and use of materials and operation of equipment.
- Ensures a safe and healthy work environment, complies with College health and safety policies and practices.
- Any other duties as may be appropriately assigned and required.
*This job description is intended to describe the type and level of work being performed by someone in this position. It may not be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required.
open until filled