Application for Employment
Please send completed employment application and resume to:
Iowa Western Community College
2700 College Rd. Box 4-C
Council Bluffs, IA 51503
For Professional Staff positions please include a minimum salary requirement in your
For all Faculty positions please include an official copy of transcripts.
Required: Master’s degree in Theatre or related field with 12 graduate hours in Theatre is required to teach college level courses.
Preferred: Master’s degree with emphasis in theatre education and/or coursework in the area preferred.
Required: One to two years working with adult populations in an educational setting. Experience teaching through several methodologies.
Preferred: Community College teaching experience is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
· Excellent oral and written communication and human relations skills.
· Effective organizational skills, particularly as they relate to the teaching-learning process.
· Capable of creating a classroom and lab environment which is conducive to student learning.
· Strong motivation to work/serve under-prepared students.
· Ability to work with diverse populations.
Basic Function and Responsibility:
This position will be responsible for delivering all levels of Theatre classes. Must be willing to teach a variety of methodologies: face-to-face, on-line, hybrid and video conferencing. Assignments may also include teaching at multiple sites during the course of a semester. This instructor will also be responsible for course instruction and classroom management. Other duties include, but are not limited to, teaching classroom and laboratory sessions, curriculum development/restructuring, committee assignments, student academic advising, student recruitment and responsibility for materials and supplies. All candidates interviewed will be required to provide a teaching demonstration.
Typical Physical Demands:
Requires prolonged standing or sitting. Requires frequent bending, stooping or stretching. May require light lifting. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity. Requires ability to distinguish letters or symbols. Requires the use of office equipment such as computer terminals, calculator, telephone, faxes, and copiers.
Typical Working Conditions:
Work is routinely performed in a classroom environment. Frequent contact with internal and external customers is required. Some travel is required.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
· Function as a team leader with other instructors to promote, develop, and deliver quality education programs that are in the best interest of the students and the college.
· Organize and teach classes and the labs as assigned by the academic dean, meeting the contract minimum of on-campus hours per week.
· Conduct class meetings for the entire period scheduled and in a punctual manner.
· Contribute to the development of course competencies for the program.
· Assist with the development and monitoring of the program budget.
· Assist with the development and revision of program curricula.
· Assist with the recruitment and retention of students to the College.
· Initiate and pursue a professional growth plan; at a minimum, this plan must meet the guide lines for yearly in-service training.
· Advise students as assigned, refer students to other college resources as needed.
· Actively participate in college life and activities, including participation in campus committees.
· Maintain student enrollment, attendance, competency records, grades and other pertinent class and student records.
· Participate in departmental, school, and college meetings as scheduled.
· Maintain up-to-date syllabi, using criteria established by the Dean, in all courses as assigned.
· Exhibit a positive and professional demeanor and attitude, contributing to a productive and growth oriented work environment.
· Schedule and conduct office hours weekly.
· Serve as an advisor to student activity organizations as assigned.
· Understand and adhere to the organization structure of the College and the academic division.
· Maintain confidentiality regarding students and colleagues.
· Demonstrate punctuality on all requests from the Dean and Program Chair. This may include but is not limited to:
o Development of class schedules
o Budget development
o Evaluation of courses and programs
o Committee assignments
o Equipment needs and evaluations
· Undertake and proficiently complete additional duties as assigned.
· Develop a minimum of two theatrical student productions per academic year.
open until filled