Application for Employment
Please send completed employment application and resume to:
Iowa Western Community College
2700 College Rd. Box 4-C
Council Bluffs, IA 51503
For Professional Staff positions please include a minimum salary requirement in your
For all Faculty positions please include an official copy of transcripts.
Residence Life Coordinator Reiver Village
Bachelor’s degree required.
- Experience that demonstrates sensitivity to and an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, ethnic, and disabled backgrounds of community college students.
- Experience that illustrates a history of successfully collaborating with co-workers on a regular basis to achieve common goals.
- Experience that demonstrates student-centered decision making.
- Experience that demonstrates strong conflict resolution skills is required
- Experience as a staff member or student staff member in a Residence Life department
- Experience responding to crisis and high-stress situations
Skills and Abilities:
Iowa Western’s Student Services Division fosters learning environments that engage and empower our students to grow and develop. All Student Services staff members must have the ability to excel in team and individual settings, multi-task, problem solve, manage their time, and maintain positive relationships with student, staff, and faculty while thriving in a fast-paced environment. The following are also required skills and abilities:
- Ability to supervise and manage student staff
- Ability to openly confront and appropriately respond to aggressive individuals
- Ability to balance empathy with being firm in decisions
- Ability to exercise superior judgment and discretion
The Residence Life Coordinator, who is required to live on campus, is directly responsible for the total administration of his/her assigned community and buildings, including programming, community development, and Resident Assistant supervision, as well as student conduct, and safety and security. The primary goal of this position is to establish an environment that is conducive to the academic and psychosocial development of students. This particular position serves as Residence Life Coordinator for the Reiver Village, a co-ed apartment-style community, serving a total of approximately 192 residents.
- Creates a sense of community in Residence Life by ensuring Resident Assistants develop personal one-on-one relationships with residents; actively creates and maintains an inclusive and supportive environment that contributes to students’ personal and academic success.
- Provides initial guidance, crisis/conflict management and mediation assistance for students; refers residents to and consults with appropriate resource agencies in a timely fashion.
- Maintains a continual awareness of resident and parent concerns, and addresses concerns in a timely manner.
- Responsible for the recruitment, selection, supervision and evaluation of Resident Assistants; facilitates initial and on-going training of Resident Assistants.
- Works closely with Residence Life Operations Manager not only on management of facility front desks but also in recruitment, selection, training, supervision and evaluation of desk staff.
- Supports, interprets, implements and enforces the Student Code of Conduct and the Housing Rules and Regulations; adjudicates level one and level two conduct violations.
- Responsible for the overall safety and security of residents in assigned facilities; when appropriate, works with Council Bluffs Police Department, Campus Security, Student Success Department, and other agencies on Residence Life incidents or safety concerns.
- Coordinates and facilitates a comprehensive, campus-wide intramural sports program, including selection of sports, registration, scheduling of events, and supervision of events.
- Coordinates and oversees student special interest groups that are social in nature for the campus community.
- Responsible for developing and managing all programming for assigned facility, and ensures programming includes diverse and appropriate activities to meet the needs of residents.
- Accountable for programming and supplies budget for assigned facility.
- Helps facilitate a comprehensive student activities program, including selection of programs, scheduling of events, and the supervision of events campus wide.
- Manages administrative responsibilities for assigned facility, including student documentation, student billing, occupancy information, key inventory, check-in/check-out processes, maintenance and custodial needs, and opening/closing.
- Serves as an advocate for quality management of assigned facility by reporting and following-up on maintenance issues.
- Coordinates and conducts health and safety inspections.
- Assists in the coordination of summer projects and activities, including summer camps, furniture moves, and building maintenance.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
The Residence Life Coordinator is required to live on campus. The college provides a rent-free apartment with free utilities, local phone, cable television, laundry and Ethernet connection.
Iowa Western offers a wide array of competitive benefits and perks, including medical and dental coverage, life insurance, retirement with generous matching, and paid time-off (including numerous holidays).
Office hours are Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 9:00am-4:30pm and Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1:30pm-10:00pm. Additional hours are occasionally required on evenings, weekends, and during holidays. The Residence Life Coordinator is required to be on an on-call rotation. During the on-call week, the Residence Life Coordinator must be available 24 hours a day to respond to emergency situations in housing.
Significant amount of standing and walking on campus and in housing facilities.
Residence Life Coordinators are required to live on campus.
open until filled