Application for Employment
Please send completed employment application and resume to:
Iowa Western Community College
2700 College Rd. Box 4-C
Council Bluffs, IA 51503
For Professional Staff positions please include a minimum salary requirement in your cover letter. For all Faculty and Adjunct positions please include an IWCC Application, Cover Letter, Resume and Unofficial Transcripts.
The Writing Consultant meets face-to-face with students to provide feedback on writing-related tasks and course assignments to better assist students who are writing papers for English courses and other courses involving writing papers.
- 9+ graduate hours in English or related field
- MA in English
- Teaching experience (specifically writing courses)
- Experience working in a writing center
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Understand and convey writing assignment requirements
- Assess strengths and weaknesses of writing in the drafting stages
- Guide brainstorming and revision via non-prescriptive, question-based feedback
- Strong understanding of Standard American English
- Experience using multiple documentation styles, including MLA and APA
- Ability to adapt to multiple learning styles and language traditions
1. Provide professional consultations with individual students or small groups on writing-related tasks and assignments.
2. Assists students in understanding assignment purposes, goals, and requirements.
3. Works individually with students in English or other courses involving writing to develop a strategy to improve their grade.
4. Assists writers in creating writing and research plans/outlines.
5. Supports students in developing effective proofreading and editing strategies.
6. Responds to e-mail and phone messages before beginning and ending scheduled shifts.
7. Facilitates data collection as assigned by the Coordinator of Academic Support.
8. Other duties as assigned.
$22.15 per hour
4-10 hours per week
Requires prolonged standing or sitting. Requires frequent bending, stooping or stretching.
Work is routinely performed in an office environment. Frequent contact with internal and external customers is required.
open until filled