Application for Employment
Please send completed employment application and resume to:
Iowa Western Community College
2700 College Rd. Box 4-C
Council Bluffs, IA 51503
For Professional Staff positions please include a minimum salary requirement in your cover letter. For all Faculty and Adjunct positions please include an IWCC Application, Cover Letter, Resume and Unofficial Transcripts.
Evening Library Assistant
Responsible for the overall supervision of the Cyber Library and Student Center during evening hours; provides support for evening student worker staff in the Student Center; provides general reference services to faculty, staff, and students; provides general assistance and support for various aspects of library technology.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required. A degree, certification, or coursework in library or information science is preferred.
- Experience that demonstrates strong communication skills, as well as strong organizational skills.
- Experience that demonstrates sensitivity to and an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic cultural, ethnic, and disabled backgrounds of community college students.
- Experience that illustrates a history of successfully collaborating with co-workers on a regular basis to achieve common goals.
- Experience that demonstrates student-centered decision making.
- Previous experience providing library reference and instructional services in a higher education setting is preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
- Iowa Western’s Student Services Division fosters learning environments that engage and empower our students to grow and develop. All Student Services staff members must have the ability to excel in team and individual settings, multi-task, problem solve, manage their time, and maintain positive relationships with student, staff, and faculty while thriving in a fast pace environment.
- Strong computer skills, specifically with Microsoft Excel and Outlook, are required.
- Ability to use tact and diplomacy in stressful situations is essential.
- Strong information literacy skills for higher education is required.
- Ensures the Cyber Library is a welcoming study environment for students, faculty, and staff.
- Provides general reference assistance to students via multiple mediums, including phone, chat, email and in person.
- Assists with circulation of library technology and ensures items are returned and accounted for.
- Provides basic assistance and instruction, as well as general troubleshooting and support, with regard to computers, printers, and other aspects of library technology.
- Participates in library instruction activities, such as course-integrated instruction and research appointments.
- Provides support for staff in various departments of the Student Center, including Food Service, College Store, and Cyber Library, during the evening operations of the Student Center; assists in the mitigation of student issues that arise during evening hours.
- Performs other duties as assigned
$14.00 -16.00 per hour
4:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Sunday through Thursday from mid-August to mid-May.
Requires prolonged standing or sitting. Requires frequent bending, stooping or stretching.
Work is routinely performed in an office environment. Frequent contact with internal and external customers is required.