Application for Employment
Please send completed employment application and resume to:
Iowa Western Community College
2700 College Rd. Box 4-C
Council Bluffs, IA 51503
For Professional Staff positions please include a minimum salary requirement in your cover letter. For all Faculty and Adjunct positions please include an IWCC Application, Cover Letter, Resume and Unofficial Transcripts.
Basic Function and Responsibility:
The Dance Coordinator will coordinate all phases of a college level dance program. Including but not limited to coaching, choreography, recruiting, budget management, travel management, rules and regulations, administrative duties, departmental fundraising, game day and/or other schedule performances, academic advising, marketing, promotions and public relations.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Acceptable eyesight (with or without correction)
- Acceptable hearing (with or without hearing aid)
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing
- Lifting and carrying
- Ability to do facility set-up by climbing stairs, ladders, and moving moderately heavy equipment
Typical Working Conditions:
- Works in office environment
- Works in gymnasiums and indoor athletic facilities
- Works outdoors at athletic facilities
- Frequent contact with internal and external customers
- Frequent contact with students
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identifies prospective student athletes and establishes and maintains appropriate communication.
- Works with Spirit Coordinator to arrange effective on-campus visits.
- Works with Spirit Coordinator to conduct team try-outs.
- Demonstrates success with respect to qualified prospective student athletes.
- Organization and Program Development
- Demonstrates effective organization of program and management of time.
- Organizes and supervises all practices.
- Develops appearance and competition schedules that are appropriate for competition levels and budget considerations.
- Assumes responsibility and supervision for team travel.
- Meets conference, region, NJCAA requirements in regards to performances at contests and events.
- Participates in departmental and individual sport fundraising activities/events for producing scholarship and/or team funding.
- Works with Spirit Coordinator to conduct dance clinics.
- Assists with the admissions and financial aid advising process of team members.
- Assists with monitoring academic progress all team members, providing intervention strategies and resources when necessary.
- Orientation of student-athletes regarding expectations, college policies, code of ethics, sportsmanship code and local resources.
- Enforces college policies and recommends sanctions for student violations.
- Assists with drug testing policy procedures.
- Public Relations
- Establishes appropriate rapport with the media.
- Represents the department and Iowa Western to service clubs, media and alumni groups.
- Works with entire athletic department on departmental projects and fundraising.
- Assist with providing information needed to produce marketing materials.
- Works collaboratively with the college’s radio and TV broadcasting programs.
- Works collaboratively with the Reiver’s Sports Media Coordinator in regards to sports promotions, events and social media.
- Works collaboratively with the college’s web-master to update and maintain their respective sports web-page.
- Administrative Responsibilities
- Complies with the colleges, ICCAC’s and NJCAA’s rules and regulations.
- Adheres to the safety standards and obtains and maintains required certifications of the AACCA.
- Submits organized and accurate paperwork for eligibility.
- Manages program within budget parameters.
- Assists with scholarship offerings and budget.
- Assists with purchasing of supplies.
- Effectively organizes team travel, accommodations and meals and submits proper paperwork.
- Conducts timely and accurate inventories of supplies and equipment.
- Maintains care of equipment and facilities.
- Attends scheduled meetings.
- Enforces medical and insurance procedures.
- Attends coaches meetings as required.
- Participates in clinics for professional improvement.
- Works with and is supportive of other coaches and programs.
- Spirit/Team Responsibilities
- Assist with all school spirit activities (games, pep rallies, etc.)
- Encourage and coordinate crowd involvement at athletic events.
- Create a cooperative spirit between the dance team, student body and the athletic community.
- Help develop and support school tradition.
- Provide entertainment that adds to the overall atmosphere of college athletic events.
- Interact with alumni at alumni functions.
- Serve as ambassadors and positive role models in the community.
- Team members will progress toward academic achievement.
- Implement a comprehensive safety program.
- Work collaboratively with Athletic Media Relations Specialist.
- Work collaboratively with Student Activities Coordinator.
- Work collaboratively with Housing Staff.
- Work collaboratively with Alumni Director.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Athletic Director.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Exceptional knowledge of dance required. Possess strong organizational and computer skills. Possess ability to communicate effectively. Ability to appropriately exercise independent initiative and judgment. Sensitivity to and awareness of confidential materials. Supervisory experience. Must hold valid driver’s license and have good driving record to qualify to drive college vehicles and obtain CDL.
Required: Associates Degree
Preferred: Bachelor’s Degree
Required: Minimum of 3 years of coaching dance and choreography skills
Preferred: Minimum of 3 years of coaching dance and choreography skills at the college level
open until filled