Application for Employment
Please send completed employment application and resume to:
Iowa Western Community College
2700 College Rd. Box 4-C
Council Bluffs, IA 51503
For Professional Staff positions please include a minimum salary requirement in your cover letter. For all Faculty and Adjunct positions please include an IWCC Application, Cover Letter, Resume and Unofficial Transcripts.
Basic Function and Responsibility:
The benefits specialist is responsible for administering Iowa Western Community College benefit programs including but not limited to Medical, Dental, Retirement, Life, and Long-Term Disability. This position works directly with third party vendors and consultants to resolve any issues that may arise with the benefit plans and its members. This position is also responsible for maintaining the following programs but not limited to: FMLA, EAP, Tuition Reimbursement, FSA and HSA.
Typical Physical Demands:
Requires prolonged standing or sitting. Requires frequent bending, stooping or stretching. May require light lifting. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity. Requires ability to distinguish letters or symbols. Requires the use of office equipment such as computer terminals, calculator, telephone, faxes, and copiers.
Typical Working Conditions:
Work is routinely performed in an office environment. Frequent contact with internal and external customers is required.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Creates and distributes of written and verbal information to inform employees of benefits, this includes email correspondence, organizing benefit mailings, education seminars, and benefit brochures/guides.
- Serves as the main contact for all benefit related issues and keeps the director updated on issues as they arise.
- Educates employees regarding all types of benefit coverage. Advises employees on eligibility for insurance and other benefits.
- Conducts new-hire benefit orientation for all eligible employees including explanation of medical, dental, retirement, life and long-term disability.
- Coordinates annual open enrollment
- Coordinates retirement seminars for employees during annual open enrollment
- Maintains benefit records and prepares documents necessary for implementing, changing, and terminating of benefit coverage. Reviews all benefit forms for completeness and accuracy.
- Enters benefits into the Human Resource system in a timely manner to ensure accuracy of deductions for new-hires, changes, and separations. Submits appropriate new-hires, changes and separations with vendors.
- Responsible for reviewing and resolving discrepancies with vendors, including billing invoices, process each for payment and submit to appropriate vendors.
- Assists in preparation of reports and applications required by law to be filed with federal and state agencies.
- Tracks all FMLA, corresponds with employees, ensures eligibility, and ensure compliance. Keeps the director updated on all FMLA cases.
- Is responsible for tracking PT employee hours for insurance eligibility.
- Assist Wellness Specialist with wellness related activities and annual employee health and wellness fair.
- Responsible for performance of other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Knowledge of general HR software systems. Must have knowledge of computer software, including Word, Excel, and Access. Relate well with co-workers and the public. Excellent analytical skills.
Required: High School diploma or GED
Preferred: Associates Degree
Required: 3 years of benefit experience
Preferred: 5 years of benefit experience in a college environment.
Experience in Datatel is preferred
open until filled