Application for Employment
Please send completed employment application and resume to:
Iowa Western Community College
2700 College Rd. Box 4-C
Council Bluffs, IA 51503
For Professional Staff positions please include a minimum salary requirement in your
For all Faculty positions please include an official copy of transcripts.
Culinary Arts Instructor
Basic Function and Responsibility:
This position will be responsible for delivering all levels of Culinary Arts, Restaurant & Hospitality Management courses and labs. Must be willing to teach a variety of methodologies: face-to-face, on-line, hybrid and video conferencing. This position may teach some evening classes depending upon semester course schedule. Assignments may also include teaching at multiple sites during the course of a semester. This instructor will also be responsible for course instruction and classroom management. Other duties include, but are not limited to, teaching classroom and laboratory sessions, curriculum development/restructuring, committee assignments, student academic advising, student recruitment and responsibility for materials and supplies. All candidates interviewed will be required to provide a teaching demonstration. This position is full-time and starts January 3, 2018.
Typical Physical Demands:
Requires prolonged standing or sitting. Requires frequent bending, stooping or stretching. May require light lifting. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity. Requires ability to distinguish letters or symbols. Requires the use of office equipment such as computer terminals, calculator, telephone, faxes, and copiers.
Typical Working Conditions:
Work is routinely performed in a classroom environment. Frequent contact with internal and external customers is required. Some travel is required.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Help students achieve their educational and career goals
- Promote, develop, and deliver quality education programs with the intent to retain students to graduation
- Organize and teach labs as assigned by the academic dean
- Develop and revise course and program curricula with the assistance of the dean
- Assess student learning outcomes in courses each term
- Collaborate with the department to analyze assessment of student learning data and develop course and program improvement plans
- Contribute to the annual evaluation and revision of General Education Learning Outcomes (GELOs)
- Promote, model, and enforce academic integrity
- Advise students
- Refer students to college resources
- Actively participate in college life and activities, such as college committees and student organizations
- Participate in department, division, and college meetings
- Initiate and pursue a professional growth plan to maintain competency and knowledge of current research, practice trends in the field
- Post student attendance, grades, and course syllabus to the college LMS in accordance with college timelines
- Exhibit a positive and professional demeanor and attitude, contributing to a productive and growth oriented work environment
- Be available in office for student assistance via email, phone, or conference
- Maintain confidentiality in accordance with FERPA and Title IX regulations
- Implement accommodations for ADA compliance
- Demonstrate professional decorum with all members of the college and community
- Undertake and timely complete additional duties as assigned, e.g. development of class schedules, budget development, course and program evaluations, committee assignments, reports, and equipment needs and evaluations
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communication, and human relations skills.
- Effective organizational skills, particularly as they relate to the teaching-learning process.
- Capable of creating a classroom and lab environment which is conducive to student learning.
- Strong motivation to work/serve under-prepared and under-resourced students.
- Ability to work with diverse populations.
Required: Associates Degree in Culinary Arts or closely-related discipline and/or 6000 hours of recent and relevant work experience
Preferred: Teaching experience and recent Culinary Arts work experience is preferred.
open until filled