Application for Employment
Please send completed employment application and resume to:
Iowa Western Community College
2700 College Rd. Box 4-C
Council Bluffs, IA 51503
For Professional Staff positions please include a minimum salary requirement in your cover letter. For all Faculty and Adjunct positions please include an IWCC Application, Cover Letter, Resume and Unofficial Transcripts.
Culinary Arts Instructor
Basic Function and Responsibility:
This position will be responsible for delivering all levels of Culinary Arts, Restaurant & Hospitality Management courses and labs. Must be willing to teach a variety of methodologies: face-to-face, on-line, hybrid and video conferencing. This position may teach some evening classes depending upon semester course schedule. Assignments may also include teaching at multiple sites during the course of a semester. This instructor will also be responsible for course instruction and classroom management. Other duties include, but are not limited to, teaching classroom and laboratory sessions, curriculum development/restructuring, committee assignments, student academic advising, student recruitment and responsibility for materials and supplies. All candidates interviewed will be required to provide a teaching demonstration. This position is full-time and starts January 3, 2018.
Typical Physical Demands:
Requires prolonged standing or sitting. Requires frequent bending, stooping or stretching. May require light lifting. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity. Requires ability to distinguish letters or symbols. Requires the use of office equipment such as computer terminals, calculator, telephone, faxes, and copiers.
Typical Working Conditions:
Work is routinely performed in a classroom environment. Frequent contact with internal and external customers is required. Some travel is required.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Help students achieve their educational and career goals
- Promote, develop, and deliver quality education programs with the intent to retain students to graduation
- Organize and teach labs as assigned by the academic dean
- Develop and revise course and program curricula with the assistance of the dean
- Assess student learning outcomes in courses each term
- Collaborate with the department to analyze assessment of student learning data and develop course and program improvement plans
- Contribute to the annual evaluation and revision of General Education Learning Outcomes (GELOs)
- Promote, model, and enforce academic integrity
- Advise students
- Refer students to college resources
- Actively participate in college life and activities, such as college committees and student organizations
- Participate in department, division, and college meetings
- Initiate and pursue a professional growth plan to maintain competency and knowledge of current research, practice trends in the field
- Post student attendance, grades, and course syllabus to the college LMS in accordance with college timelines
- Exhibit a positive and professional demeanor and attitude, contributing to a productive and growth oriented work environment
- Be available in office for student assistance via email, phone, or conference
- Maintain confidentiality in accordance with FERPA and Title IX regulations
- Implement accommodations for ADA compliance
- Demonstrate professional decorum with all members of the college and community
- Undertake and timely complete additional duties as assigned, e.g. development of class schedules, budget development, course and program evaluations, committee assignments, reports, and equipment needs and evaluations
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communication, and human relations skills.
- Effective organizational skills, particularly as they relate to the teaching-learning process.
- Capable of creating a classroom and lab environment which is conducive to student learning.
- Strong motivation to work/serve under-prepared and under-resourced students.
- Ability to work with diverse populations.
Required: Associates Degree in Culinary Arts or closely-related discipline and/or 6000 hours of recent and relevant work experience
Preferred: Teaching experience and recent Culinary Arts work experience is preferred.
open until filled