Application for Employment
Please send completed employment application and resume to:
Iowa Western Community College
2700 College Rd. Box 4-C
Council Bluffs, IA 51503
For Professional Staff positions please include a minimum salary requirement in your
For all Faculty positions please include an official copy of transcripts.
Director of Financial Aid
The Director of Financial Aid directs a comprehensive financial aid office for a diverse student population while providing leadership, support, and supervision to a staff of professionals. The director provides expertise in financial aid program management, applications, and fiscal oversight. The director is responsible for accurate, efficient, and timely delivery of an annually increasing amount of student aid from all federal, state, and institutional sources - currently over $26 million for more than 60% of Iowa Western’s students.
Bachelor’s degree in related field required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum three years of work experience in a Financial Aid Office.
- Three or more year’s supervisory experience.
- In-depth knowledge of principles, practices, methodology, and procedures for the provision of student financial aid.
- Experience that demonstrates sensitivity to and an understanding of and the commitment to access for the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, ethnic, and disabled backgrounds of community college students.
- Experience that illustrates a history of successfully collaborating with co-workers on a regular basis to achieve common goals.
- Experience in customer-related and customer-service-related field with the demonstrated ability to react to customers quickly, accurately, and congenially.
- Experience working with student information systems, and databases.
- Ellucian/Datatel Colleague and document imaging software experience preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to excel in team and individual settings, multi-task, problem solve, and maintain positive relationships with student, staff, and faculty while thriving in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to manage, develop, and support a team of talented professionals.
- Knowledge of federal Title IV programs and state financial aid programs, issues, policies, regulations, processes, and procedures.
- Ability to accurately, effectively, and efficiently communicate imperative information to students and coworkers while maintaining a high level of congeniality.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, strong organizational skills, and strong management skills.
- Strong computer skills, particularly the ability to operate and understand programming for a complex student information system and the ability to perform all functions in Microsoft Office.
- Strong attention to detail, and ability to follow through independently.
- Ability to manage and prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, and oversee major projects from development to implementation.
- Ability to develop and accomplish goals through collaboration and cooperation.
- Reports directly to the Dean of Enrollment Services, maintaining a good working relationship and communication with the dean, supporting him/her in carrying out the department’s responsibilities and activities.
- Ensures that Iowa Western is in compliance with federal, state, and accrediting agency rules and regulations by researching, interpreting, and applying regularly, including Title IV program guidelines.
- Coordinates collection of financial aid data for the purpose of federal and state application and reporting requirements, and ensures timely submission of such applications and reports, including the Federal Application to Participate and Fiscal Operations Reports (FISAP), IPEDS, and Gainful Employment.
- In collaboration with the Business Office, ensures the college is compliant with program reconciliation, cash management requirements, and the balancing of federal and state financial aid records.
- Assists federal, state, and private auditors while they conduct on-site audits within the student financial aid department.
- Ensures the college’s Federal Program Participation Agreement remains current and in effect by submitting updates regarding new programs, sites, and recertification; maintains a policy and procedures manual in accordance with federal regulations.
- Oversees the development, management, and updating of major financial aid policies and procedures such as: Cost of Attendance, Satisfactory Academic Programs, Return of Title IV funds, Packaging policies, and Verification.
- Hires, trains, manages, and supervises financial aid staff including Financial Aid Specialists and Loan Processor. Responsible for adequate training and development of all financial aid staff.
- Provides ongoing training and support regarding changes to financial aid policies and procedures for staff responsible for providing financial aid information to students, including financial aid staff as well as Enrollment Advisors and Admissions Advisors. Identifies relevant financial aid topics and presents on these topics throughout the year.
- Counsels students and parents regarding financial plan / eligibility, and ensures all students are aware of their financial obligations to the school as well as the appropriate financial resources available to them.
- Oversees all financial aid processes for awarding, adjusting, and refunding student loans and grants.
- Oversees the awarding of federal and state veterans benefits.
- Oversees the Federal Work Study and campus student employment programs.
- Continually assesses the department for new systems, processes and technologies that will better serve students and staff, and leads the department in implementation of such systems, processes, and technologies.
- Responsible for monitoring satisfactory academic progress of financial aid recipients. Serves as chair of Termination Appeals Committee.
- Develops and implements a variety of financial literacy initiatives, including those aimed at ensuring responsible borrowing and those aimed at improving student loan default rates. Identifies and develops resources to improve and enhance financial aid literacy of prospective, current, and former students.
- Participates in and provides record of professional development activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Iowa Western offers a wide array of competitive benefits, including medical and dental coverage, life insurance, retirement with generous matching, and paid time-off (including numerous holidays).
Monday thru Wednesday: 8:00am-4:30pm
Requires prolonged sitting.
Work is routinely performed in an office environment.
open until filled