Application for Employment
Please send completed employment application and resume to:
Iowa Western Community College
2700 College Rd. Box 4-C
Council Bluffs, IA 51503
For Professional Staff positions please include a minimum salary requirement in your cover letter. For all Faculty and Adjunct positions please include an IWCC Application, Cover Letter, Resume and Unofficial Transcripts.
Director of Admissions
Provides leadership for a dedicated staff of professionals and collaborates with colleagues across the division to ensure students not only have access to a quality education but are also poised for success. Directs admissions and acceptance processes for all Iowa Western academic programs, and coordinates relevant, timely, and frequent communication to applicants and current students. Provides regular communication and training to various staff members regarding admissions requirements, processes, and timelines. Manages staff and operations in the Data Processing Center, Communications Center, and Testing Center.
Bachelor’s degree required.
- A minimum of three years of progressively responsible experience in student services at a post-secondary institution, preferably in admissions.
- Experience that demonstrates sensitivity to and an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, ethnic, and disabled backgrounds of community college students.
- Experience that demonstrates a commitment to delivering first-rate service to and exceptional support for students on a daily basis.
- Experience that demonstrates student-centered decision making.
- Experience supervising and coaching a staff of professionals.
- Experience that illustrates a history of successfully collaborating with co-workers on a regular basis to achieve common goals.
Skills and Abilities:
- Iowa Western’s Student Services Division fosters learning environments that engage and empower our students to grow and develop. All Student Services staff members must have the ability to excel in team and individual settings, multi-task, problem solve, manage their time, and maintain positive relationships with student, staff, and faculty while thriving in a fast pace environment.
- Ability to accurately, effectively, and efficiently communicate information to students, faculty, and staff members.
- Ability to organize time and tasks; ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to respond to students, faculty, and staff with diplomacy and professionalism.
- Strong computer skills, particularly the ability to operate and understand programming for a complex student information system and the ability to perform all functions in Microsoft Office.
- Must possess a strong attention to detail and ability to follow through independently.
- Functions as a team member with deans and directors within the division in the delivery of quality services to students, staff, faculty, and others involved in the educational process within the scope of the department’s resources, mission, and capabilities.
- Provides leadership supervision, direction, support, and guidance to the admissions staff, which includes the Admissions Advisor, Coordinator of International Student Enrollment, Student File Manager, Admission Specialist, Communication Specialist, College Operator, Assistant Coach/Admissions Specialist, and Test Proctors. Delegates tasks, provides feedback, resolves work problems, communicates job expectations, evaluates performance, and provides ongoing opportunities for professional development.
- Manages acceptance for all academic programs, including competitive programs and programs with limited capacities through the maintenance and review of electronic databases and physical files.
- Works closely with IT staff to develop and maintain multiple electronic systems contributing to the creation and maintenance of student admissions files, including the student information system and online databases.
- Manages automated and manual processes in the student information system that updates student files and assigns communication to students and applicants regarding admission to the college and specific programs.
- Creates, maintains, and manages the correspondence associated with the acceptance process, such as a multitude of letters and emails to accepted, pending, and reserved students. Ensures that correspondence is relevant, timely, and frequent.
- Develops and maintains admissions content on the web, including admissions checklists and resources, and the application for admission. Frequently reviews admissions pages for accuracy and relevance, solicits feedback from students and staff on functionality and content, and regularly makes improvements.
- Manages staff and operations in the Data Processing Center, ensuring that applications and additional admission requirements are tracked appropriately in the student information system in a timely manner and that student files, both physical and electronic, are created and maintained accurately.
- Serves as supervisor for the Admissions Advisor. Ensures the advisor has proper training and resources to respond effectively and efficiently to students’ needs. Provides support and guidance in the provision of services and resources, as well as communication and outreach, to students in order to make sure they are prepared for the first semester of their programs.
- Serves as supervisor for the Coordinator of International Student Enrollment. Ensures the coordinator has proper training and resources to respond effectively and efficiently to students’ needs. Provides support and guidance in the provision of services and resources, as well as communication and outreach, to international students in the admissions and enrollment processes.
- Oversees the staff and daily activities of the Testing Center, including the administration of various tests, the maintenance of all testing materials, and the process and procedures for scheduling tests.
- Supervises the Communication Specialist and College Operator, and manages the operations of the Communication Center. Ensures staff members have training, resources, and information needed to respond to students quickly, accurately, and congenially. Responsible for ensuring accurate phone recordings and coverage on the operator and Communication Center line.
- Assists in providing frontline service to prospective and current students on the phone and via email including admissions, registration, and financial aid when needed.
- Communicates regularly with deans, faculty, and staff regarding admission requirements, the acceptance timelines, and program enrollments. Provides program numbers to the Vice President of Student Services on a weekly basis during fall registration.
- Develops and maintains admissions advising and acceptance resources, including handouts, guides, and training materials, and then distributes resources through a variety of channels, including web, student portal, email, and paper to the appropriate students and staff members.
- Ensures continuous quality improvement in all programs, processes, services, and resources not only through the analysis of data but also through research and review of best practices.
- Works as part of a team of professionals dedicated to collaboration; exercises group leadership skills, which emphasize collaboration, consensus building, conflict resolution, and problem solving. Serves as an active member of the Student Services Leadership Team.
- Develops, participates in, and provides record of professional development activities.
- Serves on various committees at the college.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Iowa Western offers a wide array of competitive benefits, including medical and dental coverage, life insurance, retirement with generous matching, and paid time-off (including numerous holidays).
Monday: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Tuesday: 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Wednesday and Thursday: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Requires prolonged sitting.
Work is routinely performed in an office environment.