March 16 - 29, 2018
8 am - 4:30 pm
Iowa Western Community College
Council Bluffs, Looft Hall
About the Program
This 75 hour course prepares the individual to function as an entry level activity coordinator in a long-term care facility. This course has been approved by the Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals and the Nebraska State Health Department.
Lecture, discussion, reading assignments, role-playing, along with multimedia are used in course delivery. There are several homework assignments that are completed in the clinical setting. These assignments assist the students in applying the classroom material and substitute for a supervised clinical experience.
Quizzes and tests will be given to determine the mastery of the material. Upon successful completion the participant will be awarded a certificate from the community college. There is no continuing education required to maintain the certificate.
Program to Include
- Responsibilities of the activity coordinator in a long-term care facility
- Recognizing the individual needs of the residents
- Identifying the various types of approaches that are used to help residents lead normal lives
- Planning, developing and evaluating an activity program for the resident within the facility
- The necessary management skills required to operate an efficient activity program
There are no pre-requisites for taking this class. Students must be able to read and write and should have an interest in working with residents as a group and individually. Note: Please bring a 3-ring notebook to class.
Career & Salary Information
Activity Coordinators plan activities and outings, participate with residents in music, art and physical movement. Do you have a positive, upbeat personality with a strong desire to keep senior citizens occupied and energetic? This job is for you!
The Bureau of Labor Statistics sees job for all activities assistants increasing by 19 percent from 2010 to 2020, which is almost double the 14 percent average growth rate for all occupations in all industries. Median average wage of $11.29/hr. Source EMSI.
FREE Tuition Assistance Available!
This program is approved for FREE Education to Employment tuition assistance for eligible Iowa residents. Financial assistance may include training tuition, textbooks, tools, certification fees, required materials and other services. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (712) 325-3268 for more information!
- There will be a $25 fee for all class withdrawals or transfers prior to 1 business day in advance.
- Withdrawal/transfer 1 business day day in advance – 50% refund.
- No refunds given for less than 1 business day withdrawal or for “no shows."