Human Services: Pre-Social Work Transfer
Just the Facts
Program Start Term: Fall, Spring, Summer
Program Length: 2 Years
Completed Online: Both
Completed in the Evenings: Day & Evening
Pathway: Transfer Path
Career Cluster: Social Sciences
Program Locations: Council Bluffs Campus
About the Program
Jumpstart your career in the field of social work with Iowa Western’s Human Services Pre-Social Work program. This program is designed for students who will earn an Associate of Arts degree and then transfer to four-year institutions that carry social work programs accredited by the Council of Social Work Education.
Social workers play an important role in the lives of people who are going through difficult times. You’ll be trained to help solve personal, family, and community problems as well as assisting clients in dealing with everyday life events.
You’ll work closely with Iowa Western faculty advisors who will guide you through your degree and assist you with your future transfer and career plans. Iowa Western graduates have earned positions in schools, hospitals, mental health clinics, psychiatric hospitals, and public agencies.
The Human Services Pre-Social Work program is designed for students intending to transfer to a four-year institution with social work programs accredited by the Council on Social Work Education. The Human Services Pre-Social Work curriculum stresses general education coursework. In this field, a bachelor’s degree is the minimum requirement for most entry-level positions and a master’s degree is generally required for advancement, or to work in mental or health care settings.
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Recognize the professional characteristics of a human services worker.
- Demonstrate effective interviewing and counseling skills when engaging clients.
- Compose the written documentation required of a human services case manager.
- Assemble a comprehensive service plan.
- Recognize the dynamics of vulnerable persons and special populations.
- Evaluate community and agency resources.
* Because career opportunities associated with this degree are so varied, salaries vary considerably as well. To explore careers and gather specific salary information, we encourage you to visit the following website: IHaveaPlanIowa
* A.A. and A.S. Degree Programs provide students a general education core in Communications, Social Sciences, Science & Mathematics, Humanities, and Diversity. The foundation of required and elective courses prepares students for transfer into a four-year college or university bachelor's degree Program.