Education: Grades K-12
Just the Facts
Program Start Term: Fall, Spring, Summer
Program Length: 2 Years
Completed Online: Both
Completed in the Evenings: Day, Evening, Online
Pathway: Transfer Path
Career Cluster: Social Sciences
About the Program
Teachers are among the most influential people in a young person’s life, and you can be one of those important mentors by completing Iowa Western’s Education: Grades K-12 program of study. It’s designed for those seeking teaching opportunities in preschool, elementary, or secondary schools. In just two years, you can earn an Associate of Arts degree and be well on your way to become a teacher.
Most courses for this Iowa Western program are general in nature and can be transferred to four-year schools. However, the program also includes several education courses that will provide the foundation needed for your junior and senior level courses. In Foundations of Education you will also complete a transfer plan designed to make your transfer from Iowa Western as seamless as possible.
This program is designed for students intending to transfer to a four-year institution upon completion of this two-year degree. This program is for students who wish to become elementary or secondary teachers. In order to work as a teacher, you must continue your education and earn a bachelor’s degree in order to apply for state certification.
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the field of education.
- Identify developmental characteristics of children.
- Demonstrate positive and productive relationships with colleagues and students.
- Demonstrate an understanding of issues of diversity in education.
* Salaries reflect completion of a Bachelor's degree or higher.
* Minimum of a Bachelor's degree is necessary for employment in this area.
* Salary information from the Iowa Western Faculty.