What Will You Become?
Iowa Western Community College

Frequently Asked Questions


Where can I find out about Continuing Education classes offered at IWCC?


Visit the Continuing Education webpage for program and course information.


Do I have to be admitted to IWCC as a student?


No, you do not have to be admitted as an IWCC student to take Continuing Education classes.


Is there financial aid for Continuing Education classes?


There is financial assistance available for some career training programs for those who qualify. Visit the Financial Assistance webpage for more information.


How do I register for Continuing Education classes?


There are 5 quick and easy ways to register:

  1. Online: Fill out the CE Class Registration Form and submit with credit/debit card payment.
  2. By Phone/Fax: 712.325.3256/712.325.3721.
  3. In Person: Visit the college Continuing Education office at the center where the class is offered during the office hours of Monday-Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm.
  4. By Mail: Fill out CE Class Registration Form and mail in with your check, money order, or credit/debit card information to:  IWCC, Attn: Continuing Education, 2700 College Rd., Council Bluffs, IA 51503.
  5. By Email: ce@iwcc.edu.

Q: Why do you want so much information when I take a class, particularly social security number and birth date?

A: We have the names of several hundred thousand current and former students in our computer system. If we duplicate you, or put your information under another person, or add another person’s information to you record, your transcripts and bills will be wrong.  For those of you that take courses to keep up your professional licenses, or because of a court order, accurate reporting is essential.

Q: How do I pay? Are there payment plans?

A: Tuition is due in full at the time at registration. There are currently no payment plans available. We will accept cash, check, money orders, and credit/debit cards (VISA, MasterCard, Discover or American Express).

Q: When I register, will you be sending me a confirmation?

A: Yes, you will receive confirmation either by mail or email.

Q: How do I get to my class?

A: Iowa Western Continuing Education classes are held at our centers in Atlantic, Clarinda, Council Bluffs, Harlan, and Shenandoah. Click on Driving Directions for map.

Q: Do I have to park in a certain parking lot? 

A: There is ample parking available at our Atlantic, Clarinda, Harlan, and Shenandoah Centers. On the Council Bluffs Campus, ample visitor parking is available at Looft Hall. For Continuing Education classes in other buildings on the Council Bluffs Campus, you will be sent a parking pass and directions on where to park.

Q: Do I receive a certificate of completion?

A: Most Continuing Education programs acknowledge student completion with a certificate of completion. You must have satisfied the conditions of your class, i.e. pass exams, maintain an acceptable attendance record and paid your class fees. If your employer requires a certificate of completion for tuition reimbursement, a certificate can be issued.

Q: How do I get a transcript of the classes I’ve taken through Continuing Education?

A: You may contact the IWCC Continuing Education office at 712-325-3255 to request a transcript.

Q: What kind of credit can I receive?

A: All Adult Continuing Education Classes are non-credit courses. They are not eligible for college credit toward a degree. Some Continuing Education courses do qualify for CEUs (Continuing Education Units). These are recognized by professional organizations toward maintaining necessary credentials.

Q: What are Continuing Education Units (CEUs)?

A: Continuing Education Units are defined as 10 hours of participation in a Continuing Education non-credit class, course and program. CEUs are recognized nationally as a measure of training and are often required to maintain professional license or certification. The college awards a certificate of completion indicating the number of CEUs earned for individuals who successfully complete a class, course and or program.

Q: Does Continuing Education offer classes for credit?

A: Continuing Education does not offer classes for college credit. Visit www.iwcc.edu or contact the Iowa Western Office of Admissions at 712.325.3277 or admissions@iwcc.edu for information on credit classes.

Q: Why do classes get cancelled? Will I be notified?

A: Unfortunately, when too many people wait until the last minute to register classes may be cancelled. You will be notified by email and/or by phone when a class you are registered for cancels. To avoid disappointment, please register early, and encourage your friends to take a class with you!

Q: What happens in case of bad weather and/or emergencies?

A: The Continuing Education staff or instructor will contact you if classes cancel due to inclement weather or instructor emergency. It’s important to have all of your current contact information on file.

Q: My class was cancelled. How do I get a refund?

A: If your class is canceled, the office will contact you. If you paid with credit or debit card, the refund will be processed by the IWCC Business Office, and you’ll receive a refund check in the mail. If you paid by check, cash or money order, the refund will be processed by the IWCC business office, and you’ll receive a refund check in the mail. This may take between 10 to 14 days.

Q: What is the refund policy for Continuing Education courses at Iowa Western?

A: You may cancel your registration 24 hours prior to the start of class and receive a 100% refund. If you do not cancel at least 24 hours in advance, you will still be responsible for the amount owed.

Q: How can I become an instructor?

A: We are always looking for new instructors. If you have lots of enthusiasm, please email us at ce@iwcc.edu.

Q: How can I submit an idea for a class?

A: We are always looking for new course ideas. If you have a great idea, please email us at ce@iwcc.edu.