Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
Money order/cashier's check/credit card/exact cash ONLY - No personal checks accepted.
Includes tuition, malpractice, insurance, NREMT psychomotor testing fee, and clinical internship fees.Textbook not included.
If billed to your service, a letter from that department indicating financial responsibility must be submitted before the first class session.
Payment due at registration. The pre-registration deadline is 14 business days prior to the start of the course.
- Emergency Care 13th Ed. (Pearson/Brady Pub.) ISBN: 13: 978-0134024554
Suggested Supplemental Textbooks, References
- Workbook for Emergency Care 13th Ed. (Pearson/Brady Pub.)
ISBN 13: 978-0134010731
Credit: 17.2 CEU’s for EMT’s and Iowa Nurses (IBN Provider #6); 172 Contact Hours for Nebraska Nurses
The EMT course emphasizes the development of student skills in a patient assessment-based program, recognition of signs and symptoms regarding illness or injury and the proper procedures when rendering emergency care to the sick or injured. Students will be required to complete 32 hours of internship.
Upon successful completion of this program, the participant should be able to:
- Demonstrate and understand the overall roles and responsibilities of the EMT in performing both emergency medical care and operational aspect of the profession.
- Demonstrate skill in the usage of all equipment required to deliver emergency care to the sick and injured.
- Demonstrate a proper and thorough patient assessment.
- Demonstrate critical decision making.
- Display techniques of maintaining personal, crew, and patient safety.
- Demonstrate elements of an appropriate patient transfer.
- Must be certified in AHA Healthcare Provider CPR or American Red Cross Professional Rescuer CPR prior to applying and throughout the course and provide a copy of the card prior to the first class session.
- Must be at least 17 years old at time of enrollment.
- Must be proficient in reading, writing & speaking English.
- Must be physically able to perform all functions of an EMT-Basic.
- Must have written documentation of TB test (no older than 6 months).
- Must provide own stethoscope.
- Must submit to drug screening and background check.
Attendance for class orientation on the first session is mandatory. Hybrid and Traditional EMT courses will meet up to 5 Saturdays throughout the course from 8-5 pm for Practical Skills.
EMT - Traditional Format (16 weeks)
MTh, August 19 - December 5, 2019
6pm-10pm, Looft Hall, Council Bluffs
Course ID 19/CF EMTEC 211-01
34-hour sessions of face-to-face, in-classroom lectures and labs on weeknights, weekdays, or Saturdays.
EMT - Hybrid Format (16 weeks)
August 19 - December 7, 2019
Course ID 19/CF EMTEC 211-HY01
Not a self-paced course. Weekly assignments, quizzes and discussion board posts. The class will meet in person for 32-36 hours of skillls labs (usually 4 or 5 different Saturdays for 8 hours each). Students MUST be highly motivated, have access to high-speed interent, and be comfortable using a computer!
EMT - Fast Track Format (8 week Summer program)
M-F, June 3 - July 26, 2019
8am-12pm, Ashley Hall, Council Bluffs
Course ID 19/CS EMTEC 211-02
INTENSE 8 week accelerated program for the motivated and studious learner. The course is composed of both classroom and online lectures that are designed to prepare students for EMT certification in a limited timeframe. Students will meet Monday-Friday for 4 1/2 hours each day for hands-on skills practice. An additional 4-5 hours each day should be dedicated to reading and studying the online lectures to ensure program success.
Iowa Western Community College Paramedic program, on the Council Bluffs campus, is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP).
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
1361 Park Street
Clearwater, FL 33756
To contact CoAEMSP:
8301 Lakeview Parkway Suite 111-312
Rowlett, TX 75088