Veterinary Technology Program - Application Checklist
Admission to the Veterinary Technology program will be granted to students who complete the eligibility requirements below, with priority given to students who complete the requirements by the priority deadline; however, if space allows, students will be accepted after the priority deadline until the program is full. If there are more eligible students than space available at the priority deadline, preference will be given to students with the earliest admission file completion dates. 32 students are accepted each Fall.
The Veterinary Technology program is accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association. The American Veterinary Medical Association can be contacted at 1931 N. Meacham Road, Schaumburg, IL 60173; 1-800-248-2862; www.avma.org.
Fall Term (August) - Priority deadline is January 31
- Meet with an Admissions Advisor in the Student Welcome Center located in Clark Hall.
- Complete an Iowa Western application for admission: The application is online at www.iwcc.edu and there is no application fee.
- Request Transcripts: You need to have a final, official high school transcript or HiSET/GED transcript sent to Iowa Western. If you have completed college course work, you will need to have an official college transcript sent to Iowa Western from the institution where the credit was earned. If you have completed more than 30 semester hours at a regionally accredited college or university, the high school transcript requirement may be waived.
- Test scores: Test scores are not required for admission to the College. However, students who have taken a standardized college aptitude test, like the ACT, need to have their most recent scores sent to the Office of Admissions. Test scores, in addition to previous coursework and non-cognitive assessment results, are utilized by advisors to help determine placement into appropriate math and English courses.
- Complete 24 hours of observation with a Veterinary Technician or Veterinarian and submit completed Veterinary Technology Program Observation Form to the Office of Admissions.
- Complete the following pre-requisite course with a grade of “C” or higher:
- * BIO-112 General Biology I
* This course has prerequisites. Please check with an advisor for more information.
Note: In addition to the prerequisite course listed above, students must complete the chemistry requirement of either a high school-level chemistry course of at least one semester or a college-level chemistry course of at least three semester hours before they are eligible to begin Veterinary Technology classes.
Equal Educational Opportunity and Non-discrimination
It is the policy of Iowa Western Community College to provide equal educational opportunities and not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, genetic information, physical or mental disability, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, AIDS/HIV status, citizenship, or medical condition, as those terms are defined under applicable laws, in its educational programs, activities, or employment practices. Inquiries and complaints regarding equal opportunity and nondiscrimination policies should be directed to the Equal Opportunity Coordinators, phone number 712-325-3200, firstname.lastname@example.org; or the Director of the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, Citigroup Center, 500 W. Madison, Suite 1475, Chicago, IL 60661, phone number 312-730-1560, fax 312-730-1576.
It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that all admissions requirements are documented in the Office of Admissions.
Veterinary Technology Program - Observation Form for Prospective Students
To be completed by the student and signed by the participating Veterinarian or Veterinary Technician.
Student name (print or type): _________________________________________ Date of Birth: _________________________
The purpose of the observation is to expose applicants to a wide-variety of veterinary procedures performed on small and large animals by a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM), Licensed Veterinary Technician (LVT), Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT), and/or Certified Veterinary Technician (CVT). Applicants are required to complete a minimum of 24 hours of observation in a small animal practice or large animal setting, or a combination of both. Although applicants are encouraged to observe a variety of procedures, they are required to observe eight specific procedures, which are detailed below.
In order to successfully complete this requirement for admission, applicants must:
- Complete a minimum of 24 hours of observation in a small animal practice or a large animal setting, or a combination of both.
- Complete the Required Procedures for Observation detailed below, and ensure that the supervising DVM, LVT, RVT, and/or CVT initials and dates each Required Procedure for Observation.
- Complete the Observation Log by documenting the times and dates for each observation.
- Complete the Observation Details by indicating which procedures they observed and in what setting they observed those procedures in by placing check marks in the appropriate boxes.
- Ensure that the supervising DVM, LVT, RVT, and/or CVT completes the DVM, LVT, RVT, and/or CVT Certification section .
- Sign and date the Applicant Certification section and submit it to the Office of Admissions.
Required Procedures for Observation
The following procedures are required for observation. Applicants may observe these specific procedures in a small animal practice or a large animal setting, or a combination of both. The supervising DVM, LVT, RVT, or CVT must initial and date next to each observed procedure.
|Procedure Required for Observation||Supervising DVM, LVT, RVT, or CVT Initials||Date of observation|
|Prepare fecal specimens/floats|
|Anesthesia machine operation|
|Cleaning cages, equipment & clinic|
Applicants are required to document each procedure they observed by placing check marks next to each of the procedures they observed during their 24 hours of observation. It is not required to observe all of the items listed below, however, applicants are encouraged to observe a wide-variety of procedures.
Small Animal Procedures
|Obtain patient history||Heartworm tests|
|Communicate with client||Gram stain|
|Collect/prepare fecal specimens/floats||Diff-quick stain|
|Analyze fecal specimen for parasites||Taking radiographs|
|Express anal glands||Developing radiographs|
|IV catheter||Restraint techniques (feline/canine)|
|Urinary catheter||Restraint techniques (other animal)|
|IV or IM anesthetic||Administer pills|
|Anesthesia machine operation||Force-feeding|
|Mask animal for anesthetic||Administer subcutaneous fluids|
|Cephalic blood draw||Operate & maintain autoclave|
|Jugular blood draw||Apply/remove bandages & splints|
|Blood draw-inner/outer rear legs||Therapeutic bathing/basic grooming|
|Lab analysis of blood - PCV/TP||Cleaning cages, equipment & clinic|
|Blood chemistry machines||Use of clinic software (access records/set appointments)|
|Blood smears||Access client/patient files|
|Urinalysis||Misc. paper work, filing & records|
|Surgical preparation||Trim nails|
|Routine dental prophylaxis||De-claw|
Large Animal Procedures
|Mobile ambulance inventory/cleanup||Collect/examine blood specimens|
|Prepare squeeze chutes/head gates||Collect/examine urine specimens|
|Restraint techniques||Collect/examine fecal specimens|
|Tagging, tattooing, identification||Take/develop radiographs|
|External parasite examination||Surgical preparation|
|Use of balling gun||Anesthesia|
|Gastric tubing||Embryo transplant|
|Dock tails||Semen collection|
Applicants are required to document the times and dates of their observation hours using the log below.
|Date||Time In||Time Out||Hours|
|Total Observation Hours|
DVM, LVT, RVT and/or CVT Certification
This section must be completed by the supervising DVM, LVT, RVT, and/or CVT
By signing below, I hereby certify that the information provided on this form is true and accurate.
Signature(s) of DVM, LVT, RVT, and/or CVT: _______________________________________, __________________________________
Printed Name(s) of DVM, LVT, RVT, and/or CVT: ____________________________________, __________________________________
Name of Clinic or Facility:
Address of Clinic or Facility:
Phone Number of Clinic or Facility:
By signing below, I hereby certify that all information on this form is true and correct.
Signature of Student: ______________________________________ Date: ____________________